Water Department

The hardness of Prairie du Chien water is 310mg/l or 18.1 grains.

The Prairie du Chien water system consists of four wells and three reservoirs. The wells pump water from sand and gravel aquifers to sealed reservoirs that store approximately 2.5 million gallons of water. The City is served by over 58 miles of water main, 357 fire hydrants, and 740 main valves. 2,300 metered customers are served by the water system. The City of Prairie du Chien’s water system also serves the Towns of Bridgeport and Prairie du Chien. In an ongoing effort to protect public wells from contamination, the Water Department has implemented a Wellhead Protection Plan to minimize potential risks.

  • Adopt-a-hydrant program:
    Property owners can help the Water Department by trimming grass around fire hydrants as well as clearing snow from around fire hydrants.
  • Diggers Hotline:
    State law requires anyone doing excavation work in Wisconsin to give at least three working days notice to Diggers Hotline prior to digging. Diggers Hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Toll-Free 811.    If you notice a water main break, water service break or low water pressure in your area, please call the Water Department at 608-326-8213, City Hall at 608-326-6406 or after regular working hours call the Police Department at 608-326-2421.
  • To Start Service at a Connected Site: 
    To establish sewer & water service at a site that is already connected to the water system, contact City Hall at (608) 326-6406.
  • To End Service at a Connected Site:
    An owner or tenant of property supplied with sewer & water may discontinue this service by calling the City and asking for service to be discontinued. The minimum charge will continue to be billed as long as the sewer & water remains connected, whether or not any water is consumed.
  • Establishing a New Connection Where None Exists: 
    The City requires a connection fee prior to the installation of new connections to the water system. Water service connection fees are billed at the actual cost of the work being done. To obtain a Utility Permit or information regarding a new connection, contact Cassie Rickleff at 326-8024 or crickleff@prairieduchien-wi.gov.
  • Private Wells:
    Property owners that have existing private wells must obtain a well permit from the City and produce two safe “bacti” samples. For more information on private wells in the City, call 326-8213. To obtain a private well permit application, or call 326-8024. To obtain a “bacti” test kit, call 326-0223. Visit a copy of well requirements.